Andrew Yusov, head of NGO “Zelena Varta”
Denis Bogush, Vice-President of Ukrainian PR League;
Vladimir Boreyko, head of the Kiev Ecological and Cultural Center.
European Football Championship – one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world. Opportunities offered by the Euro 2012 in Ukraine, it is difficult to overestimate.However, recent events in Ukraine show that even such absolutely positive event can not only be used but also make the drive for information attacks against their country.
Since the beginning of autumn in the European media began to appear openly negative messages to the Ukraine, and even – calls for boycott. This is due to many processes, from high-level corruption and anti-democratic actions against the opposition to the inhumane treatment of animals and deterioration of living standards.
The question the country’s image can not be overemphasized. However, Ukraine does boast here. According to research «Bohush Communications» for the period 2000-2010 years in twelve countries around the world image of Ukraine as follows:
– Non-influential and little known European country that is searching for its place in the world;
– A young democratic country, a country defeated the Orange Revolution;
– Crisis country, politically unstable, with ineffective government;
– Chernobyl (dangerous country);
– Famous Ukrainians: Klitschko, Shevchenko, Yushchenko, Tymoshenko;
– Problems with Russia (under the influence of Russia);
– High investment risks, corruption in all government bodies;
– Beautiful women, cheap prostitutes.
Over the years 2010-2011 in addition to this list was added picture of Ukraine as a state in which massively and cruelly animals are being killed, people are being torture, repression and violated are used against the rights of Chornobyl invalids.
To date, Ukraine has received the problem, the scale of which underestimates the power and acts “through trial and error”, which further worsens the situation. This is a reputational capital of the state, which suffered substantial damage and crossed a critical threshold at which reputational capital into a “reputational bomb.” As a result, any mention of Ukraine in the international arena, regardless of content, are perceived negatively and contribute to isolation in the international arena.
This vision of Ukraine in the eyes of world public opinion transforms EURO-2012 is not image-positive action, but rather reinforce negative setting for Ukraine.
Despite the loud statements of officials about improving life for the years 2010-2011 – the number of Ukrainian decreased by 145,000 people, and life expectancy is not increased, compared with EU countries, where people live for 15-20 years longer.
All-Ukrainian NGO “Green Guard” considers it necessary to immediately:
- to publish truthful information about the destruction of animals;
- stop the abuse of animals;
- adequate information counter attacks in Europe, which affects the image of the state
- spozytyvnu conduct an information campaign in Europe to improve the international image of Ukraine